FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
This page is intended to try to answer frequently asked questions. If you have a question in which this page does not provide back the information desired, please call the City Office at 308-537-3677.
What utilities does the City provide and bill for?
- Electricity, water and sewer are provided. Trash hauling is contracted out, but is billed through the City Office.
What are the Public Works office hours?
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
What does it cost to get utilities in my name?
- Residential deposits are $200.00 and commercial/business deposits are $300.00. The deposit may be waived if the customer supplies the City with two letters of good credit from previous utility companies prior to application for utilities. Service Fees of $20.00 are applicable to every new account, move, transfer and for reconnection due to non-pay. All fees shall be collected at the time of service.
When is my utility bill due?
- Statement are sent out on or before the 8th day of the month. Payment is due when received and delinquent after the 20th of the month. On the 21st day, a $10.00 or 10% (whichever is greater) late charge is assessed and a disconnect notice is sent. More information is available in the Document Center web page under City Services Policies and Procedures Manual.
Can I pay my utility bill online or over the phone?
- Yes! We now offer online bill payment through Payment Service Network. In addition, automatic withdrawal directly from your account is available. Please contact the City Office for more information.
Is City water ever tested?
- The City water is tested weekly as required by the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services with reports on display at the City Hall. The report is also located in the Document Center web page.
Does the City add fluoride to the water?
When do I need a building permit?
- All new construction, including additions, decks, garages, accessory buildings, patio covers, carports, fences and concrete. Repairs when structural changes are made, including changing window/door opening sizes. Moving, changing size of, or installing new signs. Moving or demolishing buildings.
How do I obtain a building permit?
- Applications are available at the City Clerks Office or on the City Web Site under City Government - Planning/Zoning Building Permit. Submit and sign the application. Allow several days for the process of the permit. For information regarding the Building Permit Fees, click on Fees Resolution on Home Page.
When are the City Council Meetings?
- First and third Tuesdays of each month at 5:30 p.m.
Who are my Council Representatives?
- Jeff Kennedy and Verlin Janssen are West Ward Councilmen
- Randy Waskowiak and Jay Richeson are East Ward Councilmen
Where can I register to vote
- Voter registrations can be picked up at the City Clerks Office, but must be sent in by the citizen themselves to the Dawson County Courthouse Election Commission 700 North Washington Lexington, NE 68850. Registration can also be made directly at the County Election Office in Lexington or online on the State of Nebraska Secretary of State's website.
Where do I vote?
The City is split into two wards:
- The West Ward votes at the First United Methodist Church at 1410 Avenue F
- The East Ward votes at the American Lutheran Church at 1512 Avenue G
Does my dog require a tag or license?
- Any person who shall own or keep an animal over the age of four months within the city limits must acquire a license for animal annually before January 1. Tags/Licenses can be obtained at the Police Station upon payment of a license fee of $6.25 for each animal along with a certificate that the animal has had a rabies shot, effective for the ensuing year of the license.
Where is the Tree Lot/Grass Dump located?
- West of Gothenburg on 4th Street
Can yard waste be put in trash containers?
- No, grass clippings can be taken to the Tree Lot/Grass Dump
When will the City pick up leaves?
- This year the City picks up leaves usually starting around the first of November. Please rake leaves into the street 3 feet beyond the curb to make pick up easier and allows for drainage if it rains or snows before pick up is made.
Will the City pick up tree limbs?
- Only limbs that fall directly into the street or from a tree on City right of way are the responsibility of the City. Do not drag limbs on to the street. Please haul them to the Tree Lot of west 4th street.
Does the City take recyclables?
- Recyclables may be taken to the City Maintenance Facility at 1112
Ave L. There is a separate
dumping container for each of the following:
- Plastic (#1 & 2)
- Tin Cans